Yes it is currently 1:30am here in Leeds, and we have just had a 4.7 earthquake!
It's so weird, I leave California, a place known for earthquakes to come to England, probably one of the flattest countries I have ever been to, and here I am rockin' and rollin'. Because of location I thought that it was the wind, we have been having 30mph wind almost nonstop today, but then logic kicked in and I realized that unless we were experiencing a hurricane nothing was going to cause us to move like that on the bottom floor of a brick building.
The best part was the fact that none of my flatmates have ever felt an earthquake before. I ran out of my room all excited to see if anyone else had felt it, to find that they all thought that they had had an animal running around under their bed. I then explained to them that if there were more and if they got bigger that they needed to get under their desk, and not to run outside. Only I get excited about earthquakes and am able to explain how even though we are no where near a fault, we can still feel them (thanks Dad).
Science Lesson Time:
For all of those who don't know anything about earthquakes, the current thinking is that the earth is made up of these huge plates that are constantly smashing into each other, splitting apart, and grinding past each other. It is along these boundaries where we have earthquakes.
Now imagine that each plate has its own set of plates. What I mean is each plate is covered with tens of hundreds of different rock deposits, and these deposits move. The difference is these deposits are moving because of erosion and settling rather than on the currents of the molten mantel. This is why we had an earthquake! (although if I'm wrong let me know :) )
Well, I'm going to bed now, what an exciting end to my night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LOL. I found this one entertaining. I also love how you explained earthquakes at the end. You are a natural born teacher.
Post a Comment